Friday, April 18, 2008

Extreme Green














The "Daily Insight" newsletter from Yoga Journal arrived in my inbox this morning urging me to deepen my commitment to the environment. Try these tips, it cheerfully suggested. "Save 700 tons of carbon emissions per year by line-drying your clothes instead of using the dryer."

You mean live like a polygamy bride in Texas? I don’t think so. Besides, every time I try air drying clothes, they end up looking like they’ve been stored in a coffee can. That means ironing. Lots of it. Kind of negates the dryer savings.

I particularly like their next suggestion. “Generate your own electricity by purchasing a Human Power Generator, a stationary-bike-style contraption that allows you to supplement your electricity with your own sweat!”

I guess the exclamation point is supposed to say, "wow, that sounds like fun!" Hey, maybe you could get a few of those bikes and power the whole house. You could recruit a couple of neighbor kids. Start your own green child labor camp. It’s all for a good cause. You’re helping the environment and fighting childhood obesity. Everybody wins.

I can't wait to see the new Michael Graves line of washboards at Target.

No comments: